Specifically, people wonder why Book of Mormon Central is spending millions of dollars to promote M2C.
M2C is not based on facts, whether facts of Church history, of the teachings of the prophets, or of anthropology, archaeology, geography, geology, linguistics, or any other science.
M2C is purely an outcome-oriented rationale for interpreting facts to fit a specific narrative and agenda.
We can understand the M2C narrative and agenda by referring to this diagram:
Everything Book of Mormon Central publishes about Cumorah, Mesoamerica, and Church history is designed to justify their repudiation of the teachings of the prophets about the New York Cumorah.
That's because M2C is based on the ideas that:
- the Book of Mormon took place in Mesoamerica,
- the real Hill Cumorah of Mormon 6:6 is in southern Mexico,
- the "hill in New York" had nothing to do with the Book of Mormon events,
- Moroni hauled the plates from southern Mexico to New York,
- Joseph Smith and his contemporaries merely speculated in Letter VII and other statements and they were wrong, and
- every prophet/apostle who has taught the New York Cumorah has misled the Church by teaching and testifying about his own private but erroneous opinions, without explaining that they were merely opinions.
Once everyone understands this, everyone can assess the work of the M2C intellectuals and make an informed decision about what to believe.