To support M2C, Book of Mormon Central and other members of the M2C citation cartel continue to promote these hoaxes.
The best way to promote a hoax, of course, is by censoring important facts and alternative explanations. Not surprisingly, that's exactly what Book of Mormon Central, the Interpreter, and other members of the M2C citation cartel do.
Here's a partial list of the hoaxes our intellectuals say you have to believe in, because otherwise, M2C implodes.
1. Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer were unreliable witnesses because they taught that the Cumorah of Mormon 6:6 was in New York.
2. Joseph Smith passively adopted the false tradition that the Hill Cumorah of Mormon 6:6 is in New York and thereby misled the Church.
3. It was Moroni who showed the plates to Mary Whitmer in Fayette. We know this because she was wrong when she said the messenger told her his name was Nephi, and David Whitmer was wrong when he said it was the same messenger who took the Harmony plates to Cumorah, a messenger Joseph wrongly identified as one of the Nephites.
4. Every Prophet/Apostle who has taught the New York Cumorah misled the Church, including members of the First Presidency speaking in General Conference.
5. Anonymous articles in the 1842 Times and Seasons that didn't mention Cumorah nevertheless prove that Cumorah cannot be in New York.
6. Joseph Smith was an ignorant farm boy who couldn't possibly translate the ancient Nephite plates, even with the gift and power of God, so he had to read words that appeared on a seer stone in a hat, put there by an "intermediary translator," creating a "metaphysical teleprompter."
7. The Book of Mormon events took place within a limited geography of Mesoamerica.
8. The Book of Mormon describes Mesoamerica, but Joseph didn't know that so he (and/or the teleprompter) used terms that fit North America to describe Mesoamerican (Mayan) structures, animals, and culture.
9. Oliver Cowdery misled Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Wilford Woodruff and others when he said he and Joseph entered the Nephite repository on multiple occasions. At most, Oliver was relating visions of a repository in the "real" hill Cumorah in an unknown location in southern Mexico.
10. The modern prophets have hired the intellectuals to guide the Church in all these matters, so criticizing the intellectuals constitutes criticism of the Brethren.